Our Regionally Recognized Appellate Practice
Our Depth of Experience Has Made Us the Trusted Appellate Counsel for Governments and Leading Businesses in the Northwest
Few law firms match the experience and expertise of our appellate group. Collectively, our team has handled over 2,900 appeals before state and federal courts, including civil appeals resulting in precedent-setting business law, constitutional, and public policy issues. Three of our lawyers have been named in The Best Lawyers in America© for appellate law, and one of our lawyers has been named in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch© for appellate law. Our group includes two former Solicitors General for the State of Oregon. In that role, they were responsible for all of the state’s appeals, including appeals to the United States Supreme Court. Our group also includes members of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers.
Our Philosophy – What Clients and Trial Counsel Should Know About Our Appellate Practice
As appellate lawyers, we work collaboratively with our clients and our clients’ trial counsel to achieve a successful outcome.
As appellate lawyers who are also litigators, we understand the many demands on counsel during trial, including the decisions that must be made in the effort to win the case in the trial court, while also striving to preserve the record in case of appeal. Our job is not to second-guess those judgment calls, but to work with trial counsel and our clients to find the best arguments on appeal in order to overcome an unsuccessful outcome or to preserve a victory at trial. To learn more about our Appellate and Trial Consulting Practice, click here.
The Types of Appellate Matters that We Frequently Handle
We often handle appeals involving:
- Challenges to governmental actions and other issues involving public policy
- Business litigation, including business torts and contract disputes
- Mass torts and product liability lawsuits
- Employment and civil rights claims
- Class action certifications and procedural issues
- Appeals from decisions of the Oregon Tax Court and administrative agencies
- Insurance law, contracts, coverage, and bad faith issues
- Health care law and related industry and provider matters