Appellate & Business Lawyer
Bill Gary’s practice focuses on litigation and appellate law. He is highly regarded for his skills in the development and implementation of strategies for business and government clients to manage complex and multifaceted problems. Bill is the firm’s senior trial attorney with expertise in commercial, constitutional, government and product liability cases. He has appeared in more than 1,400 appeals and has argued hundreds of cases in the Oregon Supreme Court, Oregon Court of Appeals, federal appellate courts and the United States Supreme Court. He served as Oregon’s Solicitor General and Deputy Attorney General (second in command of the Oregon Department of Justice). He served as President of the firm from 1990-2008 and he is currently the Chair of the Board of Directors.
Admissions & Memberships
Bill is admitted to the Oregon and California State Bars and also the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the U.S. Circuit Court for the D.C. Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. He practices actively in all of those courts. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Lane County Bar Association, the Multnomah Bar Association, and the Oregon City Attorneys Association as well as the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers.
Bill received his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of Law, Order of the Coif, in 1976. He also has a B.A. in English and Speech/Theater from the University of Oregon Honors College.
- Oregon Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Circuit Court for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0 Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell®
- Listed in the Outstanding Lawyers of America
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of commercial litigation, appellate practice, and administrative/regulatory law every year since 2006
- Selected for inclusion in Oregon Super Lawyers® for appellate law every year since 2006
- American Bar Association
- Lane County Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon City Attorneys Association
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- J.D., The University of California, Hastings College of Law (1976)
- Order of the Coif
- B.A. (English and Speech/Theater), University of Oregon Honors College