Kurt started his legal career in 1998 after graduating from the University of Oregon School of Law. He spent the first five years in Hood River, Oregon, practicing criminal law and trying a lot of cases. After returning to Portland, Kurt began practice in insurance defense and has done so ever since. Kurt represents insureds in all manner of insurance defense including auto, property, premises liability, trucking, and construction defect in Oregon and Washington. He also represents insurers in PIP, UM/UIM, and homeowner policy disputes as well as providing coverage analysis and opinions. Recent cases have included defense in the following areas:
- Construction Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Personal Injury and General Liability
- Product Liability Litigation
- Employment Discrimination Litigation
Kurt is a court approved arbitrator for civil cases in Oregon and Washington.
A native Portlander, Kurt has spent his life in the state he loves. He has great passion for the environment, music, the Portland Timbers, and his family (including dogs).
How I Serve Clients
When it comes to defending my clients, my first goal is to fully understand what’s a stake in order to provide the strongest and most effective advocacy possible. Sometimes this means taking a case to trial; other times it means settling with the other party in order to keep the business moving forward. Either way, I’m prepared to stand by my client and provide legal counsel that is proactive and grounded in experience to get my client the best possible result. Ultimately, I derive satisfaction from knowing that I helped my client stay focused on their long-term goals and objectives—not getting sidetracked by issues that divert energy and resources from the broader mission of the business.
- Oregon State Bar
- Washington State Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
Other Professional Memberships
- Member, Multnomah County Bar Association (2003 to present)
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (2003 to present)
- University of Oregon School of Law, 1997
- University of Oregon, cum laude, 1994