Jens is a trial and appellate lawyer. He represents individuals, businesses, higher education institutions, and state and local governmental entities in civil litigation in the state and federal trial and appellate courts, as well as before administrative agencies. He defends his clients against employment claims, business and commercial claims, personal injury claims, and civil rights claims. He also represents lawyers in lawyer disciplinary proceedings.
Jens enjoys working collaboratively with his clients to develop and execute a strategy that will most effectively reach his clients’ goals. He also prides himself on managing litigation in ways that assist the client in controlling costs.
He has been practicing with the firm since 1987.
- Counsel to an educational institution and current and former employees in a case alleging civil rights violations, whistle-blower retaliation, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and wrongful discharge.
- Counsel to an educational institution on a challenge to the confidentiality of institutional and faculty research records
- Counsel to county commissioners in relation to alleged violations of the Oregon Public Meetings Law
- Counsel to a city in a case alleging disability discrimination
- Counsel to a county in a claim for wrongful death
- Counsel to a private corporation in a claim brought by a former employee who had been terminated for violating the corporation’s workplace violence policy
- Counsel for a city in a claim for personal injury resulting from a slip and fall on ice in an airport parking lot
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0 Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell®
Jens was admitted to the Oregon State Bar in 1984. He is also a member of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers and the Lane County Bar Association. In addition to the Oregon State Bar, he is admitted to the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Jens received his J.D. in 1984 from the University of Oregon School of Law, where he was an Associate Editor of the Oregon Law Review. He also holds a B.S. in Political Science from the University of Oregon.
- “Defending a Taser Lawsuit,” CityCounty Insurance Services Annual Conference, Portland, OR (February 2013)
- “Workplace Investigations: Practical and Legal Issues,” PRIMA 2011 Annual Conference, Portland, OR (June 2011)
- “What’s New in Oregon Labor and Employment Law?”, Labor and Employment Law Conference (2011)
- “Police Liability: Risk Management Tips & Learning from Experience,” PRIMA 2009 Annual Conference, Dallas, TX (May 2009)
- “Police Liability: Risk Management Tips & Learning from Experience,” Oregon City Attorneys Association Annual CLE Program, Oregon City, OR (2007)