Ted Simpson works with you to create estate and asset protection plans that help preserve your wealth. Ted’s practice focuses on estate planning, asset protection, and taxation, as well as business and corporate law, to ensure that your business will live on, your family is financially secure, and the organizations you support remain strong.
More specifically, he handles basic to sophisticated wills, revocable living trusts, probate and trust administration, planning for and preparation of estate gift and fiduciary tax returns, family limited partnerships and family limited liability companies, estate planning related to retirement plans and individual retirement accounts, and a variety of other trusts, retirement planning, and charitable gift planning.
Ted was one of only four attorneys in Oregon selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars Edition 2008 in the area of estate planning and probate. On February 19, 2009, Ted was awarded the Londahl-Risley Award by CCI Enterprises for his outstanding efforts and years of service on behalf of people with disabilities. On March 18, 2009, Ted was awarded the Centurion Achievement Award for his support of the Cascade Pacific Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Ted is admitted to the Oregon, Washington, and Alaska State Bars. In addition to being a member of the United States Tax Court and the Estate Planning Council of Portland, Ted is a member of the American Bar Association (Sections on Taxation Law and Business Law; Asset Protection Planning Committee), Oregon State Bar (Sections on Taxation, Estate Planning & Administration, and Business Law), Washington State Bar (Sections on Taxation Law, Business Law, Real Property, Probate and Trust), and the Alaska Bar Association (Sections on Estate Planning and Probate Law, Taxation Law and Business Law).
After graduating with honors from Eastern Washington University, Ted earned his J.D. from Gonzaga University School of Law. He then received his LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Washington School of Law, and is licensed to practice law in Oregon, Washington, and Alaska.
- “The Springing Trust Protector – A Possible Solution to the McLean Case,” Oregon Estate Planning and Administration Section Newsletter, Volume XXX, No. 2, p. 6-7, April 2013
- “Life Insurance as Part of Your Estate Plan,” The Fine Print, Summer 2009
- “Taking the Can’t Out of Decanting,” The Fine Print, Winter 2008
- “Alaska Community Property Trust Can Benefit Oregon Married Couples,” Portland Business Journal, March 2008
- “Choice of Jurisdiction in Estate Planning,” The Seminar Group, September 25, 2013
- Trusts 101: “Ethical Considerations” and “Estate Planning for the Disabled,” National Business Institute, November 15, 2011
- “Legal Issues for the Entrepreneur,” Club Sport Seminar Series, September 29, 2011
- “Federal and Oregon Changes to the Estate Tax (Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss)” SYK Seminar Series, September 1 and 14, 2011
- “Estate Planning in Oregon in 2011- Now what do we do?” Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, June 24, 27 and 29, 2011
- “Asset Protection – Everything You Have Heard is Wrong,” SYK Seminar Series, June 8, 2011
- “Estate Planning in Oregon in 2010 – Where Do We Go From Here?,” Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, November 11, 2010
- The Nuts and Bolts of Estate Planning for Paralegals: “Retirement and Investment Planning” and “Tax Planning Strategies to Minimize Estate Taxes,” Institute for Paralegal Education, January 22, 2007
Ted served on the CCI Enterprises, Inc. Board of Directors as both a member (2000-2010) and past president (2003-2006). He currently serves as a member of the Endowment Committee for the Cascade Pacific Council for the Boy Scouts of America.