Marjorie A. Elken is an associate in the Business and Litigation departments. Her practice focuses on debtor-creditor issues and on advising businesses in litigation and through every stage of their business life cycles. This includes entity formation, negotiation of key contractual relationships, federal and state regulatory compliance, financing transactions, intellectual property protection, and employment matters. She also assists on complex business transactions, including mergers and acquisition, loan workouts, reorganizations, and sales of businesses. On the litigation side, Marjorie assists clients with resolving business disputes — including shareholder disputes, “business divorces,” employment grievances, and customer disputes — both in and out of court. Additionally, Marjorie offers advice about how to do business with enterprises that are trying to navigate the rapidly evolving laws and regulations for legalized marijuana.
Marjorie was selected for inclusion in Oregon Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars Edition 2012-2014 for business/corporate law/business litigation.
Marjorie is a member of the American Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, Oregon State Bar, Washington State Bar, Multnomah County Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, and Oregon Women Lawyers Society. She volunteers for the Lawyers Campaign for Equal Justice and Minds Matter of Portland.
Marjorie received her J.D., cum laude, from Lewis & Clark Northwestern School of Law where she was a business law fellow and the recipient of the Milt Smith and James Richardson Business Law Scholarship. Marjorie received her B.A. degree, cum laude, from Vanderbilt University.
- Secured Lender v. Secured Lender. Obtained favorable settlement for client in lien priority dispute.
- Shareholder v. Shareholder. Second-chaired trial and obtained plaintiff’s verdict in favor of client on conversion lawsuit.
- Extensive experience drafting and enforcing commercial terms and credit terms.
- Successfully represented debtor company in workout of logging equipment loans.
- Successfully represented debtor aviation company in complete out-of-court workout.
- Represented debtor construction company in out-of-court liquidation.
- Assisted in representation of shareholders in $100 million sale of company to private equity firm.
- Assisted in representation of company in $7 million sale of business.