Kate Grado is an associate with the firm’s Labor & Employment and Closely-Held Business practice groups. Kate is admitted to practice in Oregon and the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
Kate provides advice and litigation services to employers in the private and public sector with respect to a variety of labor and employment matters, including: federal and state leave laws; wage and hour issues; employee hiring, retention, and discipline; and workplace policies and procedures. Kate also assists employers with unionized workforces with respect to contract bargaining, employment grievances, unfair labor practice complaints, and general advice matters.
Kate Grado is a member of the Oregon State Bar, Multnomah Bar Association, and Oregon Women Lawyers.
Before joining HLGR, Kate clerked for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Anna J. Brown, U.S. District Court Judge for the District of Oregon.
Kate has a J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, where she graduated magna cum laude and served as the submissions editor of the Lewis & Clark Law Review. During law school, Kate worked with the Small Business Legal Clinic and the Lewis & Clark Legal Clinic and served as a mentor through the Women’s Law Caucus. Kate is a two-time recipient of the Lewis & Clark Pro Bono Honors Award and a three-year recipient of the Dean’s Scholarship for Excellence. Kate also has a B.S. in Visual Communications from Ohio University, where she graduated cum laude.
- “Here’s What’s Missing From Your Social Media Policy,” published by JD Supra Law News, November 19, 2013 (co-author)
- “New Rules for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors,” HLGR’s Chiefly L&E, October 9, 2013
- “Minimum Wage Increases Ahead,” HLGR’s Chiefly L&E, October 4, 2013
- “Medical Examinations, Fitness for Duty Evaluations, and Background Checks,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene, Oregon (June 5, 2013); Portland, Oregon (June 13, 2013); and Bend, Oregon (June 27, 2013)
- “From Healthcare Reform to Criminal Background Checks: How to Stay Out of Hot Water,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene, Oregon (October 18, 2012), Portland, Oregon (October 25, 2012)
- “Affordable Health Care Act — How Does it Impact You?” Multnomah Athletic Club, Portland, Oregon (October 24, 2012)
- “Social Media in the Workplace,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene, Oregon (June 28, 2012) and Portland, Oregon (July 12, 2012)
- “2011 Oregon and Federal Labor & Employment Law Update,” Oregon County Counsels’ Association (November 17, 2011)
- “2011 Oregon and Federal Legislative Update,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene OR (November 8, 2011)