Kate Grado is an associate with the firm’s Labor & Employment and Business & Corporate Law practice groups. Kate is admitted to practice in Oregon and the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
She advises employers about practical solutions for navigating various federal, state, and local employment laws, including employers’ obligations and rights surrounding issues such as wage and hour laws; employee leaves; employee accommodations; government ethics; Portland’s Sick Leave rules; and employee hiring, retention, and discipline. Kate works with employers to develop individualized workplace policies and procedures and assists businesses with drafting and interpreting various employment and business-related contracts. Kate also assists employers with unionized workforces with respect to contract bargaining, employment grievances, unfair labor practice complaints, and general advice matters.
Kate is a member of the Oregon State Bar, Multnomah Bar Association, Oregon Women Lawyers (OWLS) and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
Before joining HLGR, Kate clerked for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Anna J. Brown, U.S. District Court Judge for the District of Oregon. Kate has a J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, where she graduated magna cum laude.
- “Here’s What’s Missing From Your Social Media Policy,” published by JD Supra Law News, November 19, 2013 (co-author)
- “New Rules for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors,” HLGR’s Chiefly L&E, October 9, 2013
- “Minimum Wage Increases Ahead,” HLGR’s Chiefly L&E, October 4, 2013
- “Medical Examinations, Fitness for Duty Evaluations, and Background Checks,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene, Oregon (June 5, 2013); Portland, Oregon (June 13, 2013); and Bend, Oregon (June 27, 2013)
- “From Healthcare Reform to Criminal Background Checks: How to Stay Out of Hot Water,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene, Oregon (October 18, 2012), Portland, Oregon (October 25, 2012)
- “Affordable Health Care Act — How Does it Impact You?” Multnomah Athletic Club, Portland, Oregon (October 24, 2012)
- “Social Media in the Workplace,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene, Oregon (June 28, 2012) and Portland, Oregon (July 12, 2012)
- “2011 Oregon and Federal Labor & Employment Law Update,” Oregon County Counsels’ Association (November 17, 2011)
- “2011 Oregon and Federal Legislative Update,” HLGR Breakfast Seminars, Eugene OR (November 8, 2011)