John Witherspoon provides advice on the legal aspects of organizing, owning, and operating a company. His experience has been with the types of matters specific to closely-held businesses, from corporate formations and structures to vendor and customer relationships. His experience also includes partnership disputes, company sales or acquisitions, re-finance or capitalization transactions, and other significant legal events.
Over the years, John has served clients in a variety of industries. John got his start working with clients in real estate, accounting, and medical practices, and has since expanded to serving clients in the manufacturing, distribution, consulting, and technology industries. As a member of the firm’s closely-held business team, he focuses on the practicalities of how to add value to the client’s bottom line.
Though graced with a youthful appearance, John has been in practice for over six years and has an impressive range and depth of experience. He relishes his roles both as an attorney and as father to a third-generation Portlander.
John is admitted to practice in Washington, Oregon and the U.S. Tax Court. He was selected for inclusion inSuper Lawyers®-Rising Stars Edition 2010.
John earned his J.D. from the University of Washington School of Law. He earned a B.A., magna cum laude, from Harvard University.
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, “Revised UCC Article 9 Secured Transactions,” April 2007
- Author and Presenter, “Ethical Issues while Representing Business Entities,” November 2007
- Author and Presenter, “The Development Approval Process,” January 2008
- Author and Presenter, “Drafting and Enforcing Commercial Leases,” June 2008
- Author and Presenter, “Legal Aspects of Condominium Development and Homeowners’ Associations,” September 2009
- Co-Author, “Understanding Measure 66 and 67,” January 2010
- Co-Author, “HIRE Act Opportunities for Closely Held Businesses,” March 2010