John Witherspoon serves as a confidant to privately-held businesses and their owners who want to focus on running their companies while having a trusted advisor just a call or e-mail away. Together with a team of professionals who have other areas of focus, John gets to know—and stays connected with—each client to enable efficient problem-solving in the context of a client’s goals. John truly enjoys helping clients take tangible steps closer to their ultimate business or personal goals.
His practice focuses on the business and real estate legal needs of closely-held companies, including how best to structure and internally operate limited liability companies, partnerships, and corporations, how to be as protected as possible while closing on a purchase or sale of a business, property holding, or other asset or financing transaction, and how to handle the negotiations and disputes that typically arise from time to time when owning and operating privately-owned businesses, including those with a global reach.
Within the broader range of acting as outside general counsel, John’s practice focuses on:
- real property purchases and sales, syndications, leasing, and management;
- company formation, structure, and ownership;
- refinancing and capitalization; and
- vendor, customer, and employee contracts and compensation.
He does this work for business sector clients in real estate development and investment, medical and accounting professional practices, and manufacturing and distribution. Most recently, this has also included advice on doing business within Native American (Tribal) communities.
Though graced with a youthful appearance, John has been in practice for over seven years, has an impressive range of depth and experience, and relishes being a father to a toddler.
John was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars Edition 2010 and 2013 for real estate law.
John is admitted to practice in Washington, Oregon, and the U.S. Tax Court.
John earned his J.D. from the University of Washington School of Law. He earned a Bachelor of Arts (A.B.)., magna cum laude, from Harvard University.
Publications and Presentations
- Author and Presenter, “Business Contracts A-Z,” October 2012
- Co-Author, “HIRE Act Opportunities for Closely Held Businesses,” March 2010
- Co-Author, “Understanding Measure 66 and 67,” January 2010
- Author and Presenter, “Legal Aspects of Condominium Development and Homeowners’ Associations,” September 2009
- Author and Presenter, “Drafting and Enforcing Commercial Leases,” June 2008
- Author and Presenter, “The Development Approval Process,” January 2008
- Author and Presenter, “Ethical Issues while Representing Business Entities,” November 2007
- Presenter, “Revised UCC Article 9 Secured Transactions,” April 2007