Craig Capon is chair of the firm’s Litigation Department. His practice focuses on litigation, both at the trial court level and on appeal, in state and federal courts throughout Oregon and Washington. Craig has successfully litigated a wide variety of disputes concerning business transactions, trusts and probate estates, real estate, products liability, intellectual property, torts, and civil rights.
In his free time, Craig enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, watching NFL and college football and playing with technology. Craig is a proud member of Gone Broke Racing and iRacing, both of which cater to his favorite hobby these days, computer simulated racing.
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Public Service Award in 2004 from Oregon State Bar, New Lawyers Division
Craig earned a J.D. from the University of Washington School of Law where he was an Executive Comments Editor on the Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal. Craig received his B.A. degree in both criminology, law, and society and in political science from the University of California at Irvine. He regularly volunteers as a judge for moot court and client counseling competitions at the University of Oregon School of Law.
Craig is an active member of the Oregon and Washington State Bars. Craig is also a member of the Lane County Bar Association.
Professional and Community Activities
- Roland K. Rodman American Inn of Court - Member
- Greenhill Humane Society - Volunteer and Member of Board of Directors (2003—2009)
- University of Oregon School of Law - Moot Court Competition Judge and Trial Practice Workshop Leader
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division – Former District Representative for Washington and Oregon
- Oregon State Bar, New Lawyers Division - Former Executive Committee Member
- RTT Corporation v. Keeton-King Construction, Deschutes County Circuit Court Case No. 08-CV-0873-ST (2008)
Successfully pursued construction defect claims brought by owner of building against general contractor.
- Alacrity Services, LLC v. Admiral Insurance Company, Santa Clara County (California) Superior Court Case No.1-07-CV095267 (2007)
Successfully pursued breach of contract and bad faith claims against liability insurance carrier on behalf of insured.
- American Promotional Events, Inc. v. Taylor, United States District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. 07-6152-TC (2007)
Successfully represented national fireworks company in trademark infringement suit.
- Mushell v. Allstate Insurance Company, Santa Clara County (California) Superior Court, Case No. 1-03-CV-814431 (2007)
Admitted pro hac vice to represent limited liability company in tort lawsuit.
- Diversified Collection Services v. West Asset Management, United States District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. CV-06-3013-CO (2006)
Represented national debt collection corporation in dispute over the enforcement of a non-compete agreement in an employment contract.
- Southern Oregon Credit v. Gill Transportation, Douglas County (Oregon) Circuit Court, Case No. 05-CV-2009 CC (2006)
Represented international insurer in contract dispute arising out of trucking accident on Interstate 5.
- Toliver v. Toliver, Josephine County (Oregon) Circuit Court, Case No. 04CV0087 (2005) and Oregon Court of Appeals, Case No. A133448 (2007)
Represented beneficiaries of trust in dispute over mishandling of trust funds.
- Professional Equipment v. Sandy Creek Transport, United States District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. 04-CV-938-AA (2005)
Represented transport company in federal Carmack Amendment litigation arising out of dispute over responsibility for damaged cargo transported from Texas to Oregon.
- Providence Health Plan v. McDowell, 385 F.3d 1168 (9th Cir. 2004)
Part of team of lawyers that represented health plan in suit for breach of contract that preserved health plan’s right to sue for breach of contract in state court without running afoul of federal preemption.
- Sedlak v. Smouse, Lane County (Oregon) Circuit Court, Case No. 16-03-23226 (2004) and Oregon Court of Appeals, Case No. A127035 (2005)
Represented owners of limited liability company in dispute over price to be paid to buy out other owner of limited liability company.
- Cascade Concessions v. McGraw, King County (Washington) Superior Court, Case No. 03-2-27835-1 KNT (2004)
Represented owners of family BBQ business in lawsuit alleging breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Black Point Properties v. Kennedy, Jefferson County (Washington) Superior Court, Case No. 04 2 00090 3 (2004)
Represented limited liability company in dispute over enforcement of deed of trust against real property.
- Brazil v. FedEx Ground, United States District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. 6-03-06287-TC (2004)
Represented international shipping company in breach of contract dispute concerning delivery route in Eastern Oregon.
- Mitsubishi Silicon America v. Aon Risk Services, Inc. of Oregon, Marion County (Oregon) Circuit Court, Case No. 01C-20747 (2002)
Represented silicon wafer manufacturer in dispute over broker’s failure to procure correct insurance coverage.
- Mitsubishi Silicon America v. Semitool, United States District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. 98-826 AA (2001)
Represented silicon wafer manufacturer in Uniform Commercial Code breach of warranty action concerning defective silicon wafer processing equipment.