Hwa Go is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department and Government Law Group. Her practice primarily focuses on assisting clients with government-related and general litigation, as well as administrative law matters. She not only provides our government clients with advice on a variety of public law issues, including public contracting, franchising and telecommunications matters, but also represents those clients in court if litigation becomes necessary. In her administrative law practice, she represents businesses and individual professionals in proceedings before their regulatory or licensing boards.
Hwa is admitted to practice in all state courts of Oregon and Washington. She is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
Hwa is a member of the Oregon State Bar, the Washington State Bar, the American Bar Association, the Multnomah Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, the Oregon City Attorneys Association, the Oregon Women Lawyers Association and the Oregon Minority Lawyers Association. She is also a member of the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Administrators (NATOA) and its Oregon chapter (OATOA).
She serves on the Board of Directors of the Oregon Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and the Executive Committee of the Oregon State Bar Administrative Law Section.
While earning her J.D. at the University of Oregon School of Law, Hwa served as editor-in-chief of the Oregon Law Review, was a member of the Moot Court Board, earned a certificate of completion in Business Law, and also clerked for the Oregon Department of Justice in the Trial Division. She holds a B.S., cum laude, in Accounting from Linfield College, and a BA in English from Willamette University.
Presentations and Publications
- "Litigation 101: Post-Trial Matters," Marion County Bar Association Legal Education Program (2012)
- "Pre-Trial Litigation: Replies and Amending Pleadings," Oregon Law Institute Legal Education Program (2012)
- "Judicial Review of Administrative Decisions," Oregon Administrative Law, Oregon State Bar Continuing Education Treatise, chapter co-author (2010 edition)
- “Licensing of Audiologists and Demystifying the Disciplinary Process,” Oregon Academy of Audiologists, Fall Conference (2008)
- "Legal Framework for Local Governments," Lane Council of Governments, Public Officials Workshop Orientation and Training Session (2005)
- "Annexation in Oregon," Oregon Planning Institute, Annexation and Land Use Planning (2004)
- Represented City of Eugene in enforcing its telecommunications ordinance against wireless provider and collecting over $2 million in fees in arrears, interest and penalties
- Represented City of Eugene in enforcing its telecommunications ordinance against telecommunications provider and securing claim of approximately $30,000 in fees in arrears, interest and penalties
- Assisted in successfully defending City of Salem in prevailing wage claim brought by Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries on public/private partnership to construct conference center and private hotel
- Brought nuisance abatement suit on behalf of City of Eugene and obtained judgment for order of abatement and money award for abatement costs and City’s attorneys fees
- Represented City of Eugene in interest arbitration between City and firefighters union, in which City was determined to have provided last best offer for adjusting collective bargaining agreement
- Represented pharmaceuticals manufacturer in matter before Oregon Board of Pharmacy
- Obtained reversal of Oregon Department of Human Services’ negative determination of client’s fitness to practice as speech language pathologist
- Defended numerous health care professionals in disciplinary matters before Oregon state licensing boards